When it comes to marketing, you need to reach out and communicate with your target audience. You want to ensure that your product or service sells. Instead of trying to be cutting edge by using all of the latest technological advances, use the tried and tested leaflet method. Marketing with leaflets is one of the easiest and most effective ways of engaging with your audience. It is a low-cost marketing strategy that places information about your business directly into your consumer’s hands – what better way to market your company? Read our helpful guide for ideas about how to use leaflets to market your business.
- Choose the right type of leaflet: leaflets come in all shapes and sizes, from A7 to A3; the size you choose will depend on where it is being distributed or displayed, and your budget. If you’re planning to hand out leaflets then A7 proves to be the most popular size as it neatly fits inside a wallet. However, if you want to display your leaflets for customer’s to pick up, A6 or A5 is a good size to choose, as the target audience will notice them more.
- Designing the leaflet: a successful leaflet will grab the attention of potential customers; sell the benefits of your business; ensure the person keeps it; make someone buy from you. Bear all of the above in mind when you design your leaflet.
- Make it look professional. Anyone can print off a leaflet from their home PC; by making it look the part, you’ll be showing your customer how highly you value them, and how much pride you take in your company.
- It goes without saying that all of the writing must be grammatically correct and contain no spelling errors. Poorly worded leaflets reflect badly on your company. Invest time and care in your leaflets.
- Use an attention-grabbing headline to draw in the reader. Keep information condensed, after all, you’re not writing a thesis. By using several sub-headings and bullet points, or by splitting up your information into small chunks of paragraphs, your audience will find it much easier to read and will digest more of the information. If you lump the entire blurb into one endless paragraph, your reader will get bored, fast.
- Remember to include ‘power words’ to attract the reader’s attention. These include: avoid, free, bargain, bonus, discount, easy, exciting, profit, save, special, win. If you naturally incorporate some of these words into your text, the reader is much more likely to be persuaded to choose your company.
- A picture tells a thousand words: choose one relevant image to help encapsulate the brand image your company is trying to portray. Don’t be tempted to fill all of the blank spaces with extra text or images; a bit of space makes the leaflet appear easier to read.
Lastly, use a call to action phrase. Remember, you’re looking to sell or promote your business. You’ll generate a much higher turnover by using an active closing line, such as ‘book before (date) and receive 20% discount’.
Distributing your leaflets – there are a number of distribution options available when it comes to leaflet marketing.
- – Through letterboxes
- – Placed in magazines
- – Placed on car windscreens
- – Handed out to passers-by
- – Left in public places for people to pick up
Each of these methods has advantages and disadvantages. See what works best for you by testing and trialling each one.
Leaflet holders are another great way of reaching your target market is to display your leaflets in a leaflet holder. Place the holder next to the till if you’re a retailer, or on the reception desk of your business. The main thing is to ensure you display them where customers will notice them. Actively boost your marketing campaign by placing a leaflet in the bag with the customer’s purchases, and have a member of staff standing by the door to welcome customers with a leaflet about your new promotion as they enter your store.
Try leaflet marketing to help promote your business and see some quick results. Follow the above steps to get you started; remember to trial different things to help determine what works best for your company and watch the sales start pouring in.